30 Jun, 2021
Laser treatment for acne scare can't remove the scars completely but reduce the appearance of the scars. Laser therapy also used for removing tumours, improve vision, stops hair loss and treating pain.
Dermatologists use light therapy on the top layers of the skin. Laser therapy is used to break the acne scar tissue. It encourages the growth of healthy skin cells and also masks the damaged tissues. The procedure also minimizes the pain and itching and also prevent the formation of the scar after surgery.
Before going for the laser treatment a few things such as,do you have active acne, darker skin tone or very wrinkled skin? If yes, you might not a suitable candidate for the laser treatment. A dermatologist can give you better advice on whether you should go for the treatment or not.
Types Of Acne Scars
A dermatologist tends to recommend the following type of scars.
- Burn scars
- Acne scars
- Surgical scars
- Injury scars
Laser treatment is beneficial for superficial scars. Deep scars need to refer to the more intensive treatment. A combination of therapies may require for some cases, such as laser therapy along with injectable fillers, to reduce the appearance of a scar.
Laser Treatment Procedure For Acne Scars
The treatment takes two days for acne scarring. The procedure of laser treatment includes the following:
- The doctor will check the medical history of the patient.
- He will examine the site of the scar and mark it by using a pen.
- A doctor will clean the area and inject a local anaesthetic or use a numbing cream on the scar.
- If the laser treatment is going to happen on the face, the patient will ask to wear protective goggles.
- A doctor will place a towel or gauze around the site of the surgery to avoid the harmful effect of laser on healthy skin cells.
- The laser will be heating up to remove the top layer of the skin at the area of the scar.
- The doctor then peels off the top layer.
- The doctor will apply a cooling saline or water solution occasionally.
- Skin appears smooth & scars are less visible.
- Heat and light of the laser encourage the growth of new cells.
- It promotes healing of the skin.
- Encourage blood flow at the site and minimize inflammation.
- Red appearance of scars become less.
- After completing the treatment, the doctor will apply ointment and apply dressing on the area to cover it.
Types Of Laser Used In Acne Scars
The common kind of lasers used for acne scarring is.
Ablative laser resurfacing
- It took 3 to 10 days to subside the redness.
- It uses erbium YAG or carbon dioxide CO2 laser.
- The aim is to remove the complete upper layer of the skin affected from the scar.
Non-ablative laser resurfacing
- It uses infrared lasers.
- The aim is to produce collagen protein to enhance skin elasticity.
- It encourages new cell development.
- It replaces the scarred and damaged tissues.
Fractionated laser treatment
- It uses fractional lasers (Fraxel).
- Stimulate the removal of darkly pigmented cells underneath the top layer of the skin.
- Treatment has a better response for boxcar and icepick scars.
Is Laser Treatment Permanent?
The treatment has a direct effect on blood vessels to contract them. It makes the skin less itchy and red. The treatment requires 3 to 5 sessions to complete the procedure. Yes, it is a permanent treatment to reduce the appearance of the scar.
Side Effects And Complications Of Laser Treatment For Acne Scars
The laser treatment has some potential risks and side effects. The variation in side effects basically depends on several factors, such as:
What type of skin you have?
Which kind of laser is used?
And how many sessions you may require?
The procedure uses light and heat. Therefore, it is possible that you may experience some side effects, such asswelling, itching, redness, pain, bleeding, scarring, skin discoloration, discomfort, and skin infection.
Studies have shown that laser cannot remove the scars completely but the therapy effectively minimizes the appearance of scars and also reduce their thickness. Although the treatment has successful results, you should take several precautions before the laser treatment, such as avoid taking any blood-thinning supplements like aspirin 2 weeks before the treatment. Stop smoking before the treatment. Protection from the sun is essential before and after the treatment. Apart from this, a medical consultation is crucial before taking laser treatment.
Categories: Acne Scar